Hello everyone! My name is Frandiel Gomez and I am a participant of the FINA Scholarship Programme in Kazan. Today I will tell you about my homeland – the Dominican Republic!
This is an island state with the capital of Santo Domingo, located in the Caribbean and of high importance in the tourism industry. The country gained independence in the 20th century and is located on an area of about 50,000 square kilometres. Let's take a look at 20 interesting facts about the Dominican Republic.
1. The Dominican Republic has the largest economy in Central America and the Caribbean.
2. The capital of Santo Domingo was founded in the 15th century and was the model in accordance with which the remaining cities of America were built.
3. Baseball is a national sport in which some of the best players in history are represented.
4. The beaches of Punta Cana are considered one of the best in the world and welcomes millions of tourists every year.
5. The first university in America was established in 1538 in Santo Domingo.
6. The country is home to the creators of the musical genres of merengue and bachata.
7. The name of the country comes from Santo Domingo de Guzmán, the establisher of the Dominican Order.
8. It is the tenth most populated island in the world.
9. The island was one of the first places discovered by Christopher Columbus during his first trip to America.
10. This is the most visited place in the whole Caribbean.
11. In Santo Domingo several scenes from "The Godfather 2" movie were shot.
12. Larimar is a mineral that can only be found in the Dominican Republic.
13. One of the best coconuts in the world are produced here.
14. The famous designer Oscar de la Renta was a Dominican.
15. In the Dominican Republic there are the most valuable examples of fossil plants in the world.
16. People speak not only Spanish, but also English and French here.
17. The flag of the Dominican Republic is the only one that depicts the Bible.
18. The highest mountain in the Caribbean is located here.